You can talk to God anytime and anyplace, but especially when you're starting out, and especially if you want to 'get real' with God, you absolutely have to be by yourself.
Here's a few suggestions for quiet places where it's easy to talk to God:
- At home, from under the covers of your bed, or sitting in your back garden.
- Go out to your favourite country walk, and talk to God there.
- Some people go to a quiet stretch of beach to talk to God - the waves provide the perfect backdrop, so even if you stay saying things really loud, no-one can actually hear you.
- Forests, fields, and empty parks all work very nicely.
- Or, if you're really desperate, you can do it from your private office at work - but make sure you lock the door, as the last thing you want is for the secretary to catch you 'talking to yourself.
The key is that you should be somewhere where you feel uninhibited, relaxed, and able to say whatever comes to your mind, without worrying about being disturbed or overheard.